- add to favorites
- Type of glass: Aperitif glass
- ABV: 17.27 %
- Year created: 1861
- Last updated: 06/17/14
- Added by
Recipe instructions for a Americano:
To make an Americano cocktail, use the following recipe instructions:
- Pour the Campari and then sweet vermouth into a glass with ice.
- Stir the ingredients with the ice.
- Top off with soda water.
- Garnish with a lemon or orange twist.
- Add two short straws and serve.
Enjoy your Americano!
- The Americano cocktail is an aperitif first served in 1861 at Gaspare Campari's bar, a place frequented by the composer Verdi, Edward VII and Ernest Hemingway.
It wasn't until Italy became popular with American tourists that it became known as the Americano. The tourists took the cocktail recipe back home, and legally sipped it throughout Prohibition because Campari was classified as a medicinal spirit.