Tom and Jerry
Recipe instructions for a Tom and Jerry:
To make a Tom and Jerry, a holiday and winter-time favorite:
- Start with the egg by separating the egg yolk from the white.
- Beat thoroughly independently.
- Fold the beaten egg yolk and white together.
- Add the sugar and 1 tbsp of rum.
- Put 1 tbsp of the mixture in a heat-proof mug or toddy glass.
- Add the rest of the rum and stir in hot milk to almost fill the glass.
- Add the cognac.
- Garnish with ground nutmeg.
Enjoy your Tom and Jerry!
- This classic hot drink was invented by "Professor" Jerry Thomas in 1852 at the Planter's House Bar, St Louis, Missouri. Legend has it, he refused to serve it before snowfall.