Recipe instructions for a Blue Blazer:
To make a Blue Blazer:
- Boil water.
- Heat the whiskey in a small saucepan.
- Pour whiskey into a tankard.
- Pour boilng water into a second tankard.
- Set the whiskey on fire and while it is flaming pour the two liquids from one tankard to the other.
- Repeat 4 times.
- Sweeten with sugar.
- Garnish with a twist of lemon.
Enjoy your Blue Blazer!
- The Blue Blazer was created by the legendary Jerry "The Professor" Thomas while he was at the bar El Dorado in San Francisco. Jerry Thomas was a star performer with this drink. He perfected the technique of lighting the whisky and throwing the flaming liquid between two silver tankards. This act impressed President Grant of the United States so much he presented Thomas with a cigar. Thomas was a man of principle – he refused to serve this drink until the thermometer fell below 50°F/10°C.